Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley is a thriving, diverse and academically successful school for girls in New Beckenham. Our GCSE results are amongst the best in the country with progress being amongst the most successful schools nationally. We passionately believe in educating young women for the future and with specialisms in Science and Enterprise we are working hard to create opportunities for girls to be successful in English and maths as well as more traditional subjects like Classics and Latin.
Along with other single sex schools in Beckenham, we welcome boys and girls to join us in the Sixth Form and we are very proud of the contribution that they both make to the school. We are also founding members of the highly successful Harris Federation Sixth Form.
- Combining the traditional values of courtesy, consideration, cooperation and smart uniform with the best of modern teaching methods and technology;
- Providing strong and personalised pastoral care through a faculty structure that creates a strong sense of belonging and harmony with a dedicated team who support the transition from Primary school into
- Secondary school;
- Involving girls in leadership and partnership across the Academy so that they can become confident and entrepreneurial young women and recognise that anything is possible if they endeavour to achieve;
- Aiming to make learning challenging, engaging and relevant so that the girls become independent, happy and active in their learning;
- Working in partnership with parents and involves them fully in their child’s education and in the wider life of the Academy.
We believe that every girl can and should achieve their full potential and our commitment is one of ensuring the girls develop a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and enterprise and a dedication to being the best that they can be. Our motto is: All Can: We Will.Summary
The purpose of your role will be:
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students and to support a designated curriculum area as appropriate.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher/form tutor
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential
- To contribute to raising standards of student attainment
- To share and support the academy’s responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including lesson planning, developing resources and syllabuses, and contributing to the departmental plan)
- Curriculum planning
- Staff development (including continuing professional development and engaging fully in the Performance Management Review process)
- Quality assurance (including contributing to the process of monitoring and evaluating the subject area)
- Management of information (including maintaining appropriate records and tracking student progress)
- Communications with students, parents and other stakeholders
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, ensuring a high quality learning experience for students
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level (can be teaching practice), ideally including experience in multi-ethnic urban schools and of working in an 11-18 school
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students, and of being a tutor
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4, and of writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Have a good level of ICT skills, ideally including innovative use of interactive white boards
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage their own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level.
In addition to the opportunities for career development and progression, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions, a Wellbeing Cash Plan including access to a virtual GP, electric car scheme, and many other benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our website.