Head of Press and Social Media
About City of Westminster
Westminster City Council is a world of extraordinary stories. Where innovative and open-minded people bring everything to the cause. Even expertise from surprising places.
Westminster is an amazing place. There are 250,000 diverse residents, over 50,000 vibrant and vital businesses and three-quarters-of-a-million people working here every day. Westminster City Council’s strategy is to work towards a Fairer Westminster. A Fairer Westminster is one in which our communities are at the heart of our decision-making and help to determine the city’s future. By working directly with our communities and other partners, we can build a more inclusive city that celebrates our diverse communities, and where residents, workers and visitors from all backgrounds will feel welcome and safe.
At Westminster City Council, we pride ourselves on being an inclusive workplace and employer of choice. We encourage and welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the communities we service at all levels.
About the role
As Head of Press and Social Media you can make your own powerful contribution as you support the Director of Communications to develop and implement a communications strategy that engages the wider community in the councils vision. Developing a modern strategic press and social media team, it’ll be your job to ensure all press and social content supports the Councils overarching narrative, and drives a coherent message aimed at achieving WCC’s strategic objective.
You will be leading, managing and developing the team to ensure the delivery of proactive and reactive external communications for council operations and policy issues, you’ll act as an important point of contact on media issues, providing strategic advice on the risks and opportunities facing the Council. Building and maintaining effective professional relationships with colleagues in the media to ensure that the Councils messaging is prioritised and accurately reflected, you’ll also work to provide a swift, accurate service to senior stakeholders, Cabinet Members, journalists, and influencers.
You will be educated to degree level or with a marketing/communications qualification or equivalent experience, you’ll have the practical skills to manage a communications team and recruit, supervise and appraise the performance of its members. We’ll also look for the ability to take the lead in a news and social media management function, and coordinate significant communications activities linked to complex corporate decisions.
Your expertise will include:
- Politically astute and capable of identifying potential problems and taking the necessary action to mitigate risk, we’ll expect you to be ready to translate strategic objectives into operational plans.
- Experience of establishing and building productive working relationships with senior managers, councillors and partner organisations such as communities, public agencies and statutory bodies, you’ll also be capable of building collaborative connections across different areas of our business.
- Essential that you possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and as a superb organiser, you’ll have the ability to work to tight deadlines while managing competing priorities.
- Clear understanding and commitment to equality and diversity.
As an employer of choice City of Westminster Council offer an extensive package that creates work life balance as well as working in a social value orientated organisation.
- Competitive salary of £71,898 - £80,217 per annum.
- Flexible hybrid working pattern
- Excellent Local Government pension scheme
Close Date: Tuesday 17th January (Midday)
Formal Interviews will take place week commencing Monday 23rd January 2023
Hays Marketing have been retained by City of Westminster Council to manage the recruitment of this role.
To APPLY for this role please send your updated CV in Word format highlighting all your relevant experience.