Lead Specialist Engineers are responsible for supporting the delivery of technical excellence in their field of specialism and assisting the Senior Specialist Engineer in ensuring that all systems are optimally configured to provide a high-quality service to UKHSA users.
They may be required to supervise the activity of junior staff, but will mainly be responsible for undertaking the configuration, management and maintenance of all hardware and software components of UKHSA’s network and infrastructure.
The Lead Specialist Engineer will work within the Specialist Communications and End User Services team.
The Lead Specialist Engineer will work with other Lead Specialist Engineers, who between them will lead on the software packaging capability for the organisation. They will have technical specialties and provide technical expertise in application packaging and supporting technologies.
Communication and key working relationships
- Other ICT engineers at all levels
- Colleagues in the ICT Department
- Customers within UKHSA at all levels.
- FCD colleagues
- UKHSA Senior Managers and Executive
- Application managers and developers in other UKHSA directorates
- Relevant suppliers of hardware, software and services
- Maintenance organisations
- External customersas appropriate and as directed by line manager.
The above is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. You will carry out any other duties as may reasonably be required by the directorate.
The job description and person specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
You should pursue a programme of continuous professional development in accordance with any relevant professional registration or statutory requirements, while maintaining appropriate awareness of service provider requirements.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide software application packaging services to end users and deliver applications to end users that meet UKHSA deployment strategy and security policies.
- Work in a collaborative manner with other ICT colleagues to deliver tasks successfully.
- Plan, configure, manage and maintain all hardware and software components of specialist area to deliver optimum system availability to users, and ensuring all supplier provided patches and upgrades to the operating system, database, tools and utilities are applied in a timely manner.
- Maintain the security and integrity of all systems related to specialist area including managing all user access rights and implementation of any necessary backup regimes and other disaster recovery procedures.
- Providing technical and administrative support for specialist systems, including the production of system specification documentation and the production of relevant procedures and protocols.
- Monitoring and managing system performance, capacity and growth, providing advice on necessary upgrades and replacement of hardware and software so as to maintain the reliability of the systems. Implement hardware changes and upgrades and database upgrades and migrations to maintain system performance and growth capacity.
- Ensuring compliance with UKHSA ICT and other relevant policies.
- To maintain awareness of technical developments and research new technologies with a view to providing advice to the Senior Specialist Engineer on suitable deployment strategies for UKHSA.
- To conduct such work as directed by the Senior Engineer or Team Manager consistently with departmental standards and to agreed timescales
for more info please click the apply here button