What we will offer
We will offer you a place where you can be yourself and where there are no limits to what you can achieve. With us, you can take ownership of your career and have honest conversations throughout. You would join an ambitions firm with a clear strategy for profitable growth. Here you can expect a competitive and fair reward as well as recognition based on all round performance. This forms part of The Deal, our internal promise between the firm and its employees.
Our hybrid working policy gives our people, where this is consistent with client and business needs, the option to work remotely for up to two days a week. For someone that is full time, this would be three days in the office a week and up to two days remote.
The communications team ensures the firm's media relations, social media platforms and internal communications support the firm's strategic goals, practice priorities and international brand. The team is responsible for managing communications activities that enhance Stephenson Harwood's reputation with a wide range of stakeholders.
This role reports to the head of brand & communications. The communications team is part of the firm's business development & marketing department.
The media relations manager will be responsible for advancing Stephenson Harwood's media relations strategy by proactively uncovering and showcasing the firm's legal practice expertise.
Through compelling communications, largely supporting the firm's legal practices, you will focus on raising Stephenson Harwood's profile across the breadth of the firm's work, including but not limited to the firm's areas of focus: transportation & trade, private capital & funds, life sciences, decarbonisation, and technology.
You will help to develop and run a media relations programme to identify and deliver recognition through the media. The role will include educating and preparing our senior leadership and other spokespeople for media engagements and interviews. You will also help to manage any media engagement relating to crises and issues.
A good writer, you will also look to place comment and opinion pieces in relevant media that demonstrate the knowledge and expertise of partners at the firm. Recognition will be targeted in the top-tier and industry trade media outlets that our clients and stakeholders most regularly read, and through other communications channels, including the firm's website and social media channels.
Examples of expected output:
- Developing and delivering a media relations programme: supporting our lawyers to raise their profile and demonstrate their value.
- Writing compelling awards submissions: uncovering the work examples which showcase our expertise, innovation and commitment to delivering exceptional services to our clients.
- Creating content, in the form of news announcements or case studies: for channels beyond the media, including our website.
- Mid-level public relations/corporate communications experience, or a journalist at minimum senior reporter level, with standout writing skills. Experience in the legal or professional services sector is helpful but not mandatory.
- Outstanding media relations skills and relationships, with experience engaging journalists on a regular basis to generate positive coverage and on challenging issues.
- Ability to translate technical topics quickly into easy-to-understand copy, and have a solid understanding of the opportunities and challenges facing Stephenson Harwood and the legal industry will be beneficial.
- Ability to work independently as needed, think ahead, engage proactively and take initiative, while also working collaboratively as a team player.
- Ability to communicate information effectively and accurately, verbally or in writing, across multiple disciplines.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to quickly transition from strategy to implementation, working on both simultaneously as needed.
- Mature, confident, enthusiastic and professional attitude, with excellent judgement and an ability to advise and influence senior decision makers.
- Effective collaborator and networker, able to build relationships internally at all levels and externally with a strong network of media contacts.
This job description is indicative only and does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities. The firm reserves the right to alter or change the responsibilities at any time, in line with the firm's strategy and business needs.We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, culture or any other protected characteristics. We aim to create a culture where everyone can be themselves and is valued for their strengths and unique perspectives.