Laboratory Research Scientist - Molecular Biology.
- Start Date: ASAP
- Duration: 6 months
- Pay Rate: £14.25ph
- Location: LE14 4RS.
The role-holder will be required to demonstrate scientific expertise in molecular biology (or related discipline) to plan and execute laboratory projects. Practical experience in developing techniques in DNA, RNA extraction, especially in a variety of sample types is highly desirable. Understanding microbiome sequencing data and having a degree of data manipulation skills such as R or Python are preferred. Experiments must be scientifically robust to ensure the data is of high quality suitable for presentation, internally and externally to the business. Experience of developing and optimising new methods is desirable. The role-holder will also be responsible for the oversight a laboratory area including maintenance of equipment, supervising engineers, ordering, and managing consumables and overseeing the safe work of others. Therefore, experience in laboratory area ownership is desirable including supervision of students or staff. Being technically savvy around the use of LIMS, knowledge of HS&E and quality systems and 5S/LEAN/6-Sigma techniques are also highly desirable skills for this role. The role-holder will be required to be onsite the majority of the time, but there is flexibility to work from home at times.
- Responsible for devising, implementing, executing, and troubleshooting a variety of laboratory methods and techniques for multiple experimental projects. Experiments must be scientifically robust to ensure the data is of high quality suitable for presentation, internally and externally to the business, and scientific presentations.
- Working with Senior Research Scientists, use knowledge and experience to develop and validate new methods and assays specific to molecular biology.
- Provide technical expertise and knowledge to input into project plans, experimental design and troubleshooting to ensure successful progression and completion of projects.
- Collate, interpret and present experimental data, with statistical analysis where appropriate, to the Senior Research Scientist, Principle Investigators and/or key internal customers.
- Work with Senior Research Scientist(s) and/or Research Manager to communicate research findings through written reports and scientific publications and presentations to key internal customers and stakeholders.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed electronic laboratory notebook of all experimental work performed according to WPSI guidelines to be reviewed by the Senior Laboratory Research Scientist. Review and authorise electronic laboratory notebooks of laboratory scientists working on molecular biology projects.
- Maintain an accurate record of all methods, samples collected and processed on the Waltham sample database (LIMS). Implementation of new methods and instruments onto LIMS.
- Provide training and mentoring to other laboratory users in experimental techniques and methods and laboratory ways of working specific to molecular biology.
- Adhere to HS&E and quality requirements when performing laboratory work. Supervise indirect subordinates working on molecular biology projects to ensure that methods and techniques are carried out accurately and that data generated is of robust scientific quality.
- Work with the wider laboratory team to drive efficiency and optimal ways of working within the laboratory using 5S, 6Sigma or other.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential to be able to communicate clearly and effectively with stakeholders. This includes communicating with all levels of personnel internally, external contacts such as service engineers and visitors to the site.
Education & Professional Qualifications
- Must have BSc degree within the field of molecular biology or associated subject is essential.
- A Masters or PhD in a scientific subject is desirable.
Knowledge / Experience
- Experience of working in a research environment and/or industrial experience preferred.
- Expertise in a number of molecular biology techniques including DNA extractions and amplifications, endpoint and RT-PCR and knowledge of next generation sequencing.
- Ability to develop and validate new methodologies across a range of analytical platforms.
- Experience of supervising and teaching others in experimental techniques is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of data analysis platforms such as R or Python desirable.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://candidate-privacy