Bids and Business Development Manager
Your new company
An award-winning, leading international legal business with 11 offices across the UK and the world. A broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. Representing a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies.
Your new role
The Bids and Business Development (BD) Manager is responsible for managing bids and BD activity for the Claims Solutions Group. They play a key role in helping to achieve our growth plans by, managing the bids pipeline, providing guidance on win strategy, producing bids documents, coaching presentation teams and supporting on wider BD activities. They also play a key role in the continuous improvement of our bids and BD processes and in the development of people in the Bids Team. This role would be suitable for someone who is looking for an opportunity to develop their career.
- Probing and challenging the tender invitation, working with the Executive Board and partners to assess and anticipate client needs, providing practical guidance on how the bids will be scored and what further information we need to discover.
- Using project management techniques to ensure a well-planned, organised and controlled process, driving the bids forward making things happen through personal commitment.
- Helping formulate the best win strategy for each bid, including consideration of optimum commercial strategies. Clearly articulating the reasons for adopting the proposed strategies.
- Managing bids strategy meetings confidently, inspiring enthusiasm and support for the bids.
- Working with lawyers, finance and any other experts (in person and virtually) to formulate models for an attractive and profitable offer that meets the prospect's needs and supports agreed strategy for the bids.
- Creating a comprehensive first draft document that sets out the agreed strategy and offer clearly articulated responses aligned to the tender scoring criteria.
- Coaching and guiding lawyers (in person and virtually) on effective presentation techniques, both through ad hoc workshops and specific pitch rehearsals as part of the bids process, delivering feedback on performance.
- Ensuring client debriefs are undertaken on all bids, either personally or through our Client Listening Team, and that all messages are fed back to relevant parties.
- Working with the wider marketing team to ensure that all sector material is effective and up to date.
- Working with the wider business, including Client Relationship Partners, to proactively manage the bids pipeline and run bid workshops to maximise the chances of success when the bids invitation arrives.
- Working with PG&R to identify possible risks to the business/comply with internal risk management and conflict checking procedures.
- Understanding and investigating external models for bids best practice, putting forward proposals to better our internal processes and managing projects to deliver improvements.
The Bids and Business Development Manager will also be responsible for supporting wider BD activities across the business by running client workshops, working with the marketing operations team on the CRM system, assisting in the creation of tailored client facing documents and maintaining a high level of understanding of key developments across the business.
Location is flexible but Birmingham or Bristol is preferred.
What you'll need to succeed
The ideal candidate will have experience of managing bids and business development, preferably in a professional services environment.
- Show strong strategic and commercial awareness, coupled with industry and competitor knowledge, enabling them to develop winning strategies, viable/profitable offers and creative pricing ideas.
- Understand sales theory and best practice, and have experience of applying that to successfully defend/win clients.
- Understand project management techniques and be able to create and manage complex project plans, with the determination and pace to make things happen.
- Have strong writing, proofreading and editing skills and the ability to adapt style to different audiences and channels.
- Have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of pitch presentation skills and best practice and experience of successfully coaching and guiding others.
- Possess high levels of credibility with the ability to influence, challenge and coach senior stakeholders.
- Have high levels of numeracy and analysis (also able to manipulate spreadsheets).
What you'll get in return
A fantastic flexible working policy, generous annual leave plus bank holidays, performance based quarterly bonus and pension, life insurance and private medical!
This is a really good opportunity for a talented Senior Bid Executive to take the next step in their career, or for a Bid Manager to step into a successful team and be part of a growing business.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call Rebecca now 01173746336.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.