Senior Marketing & Business Development Manager - Employment
- Job Role
- Marketing Manager
The Employment Group is a large prominent player with an imposing footprint across the globe, complex and fast paced. The International Employment MBD team underpins the Group’s success through a wide range of high profile campaigns, go-to-market across the sub-groups, events and client development activity.
The International Employment MBD team provides the operational and strategic hub for the Group - helping partners and senior lawyers to attract and retain profitable client relationships, managing its market profile and developing a sense of community within the Group in order to build strong and cohesive client teams. The International Employment MBD team forms part of a larger International MBD team based in locations across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. The team also works closely with US and LatAm based Marketing counterparts.
This role will be supporting our Global Co-Chair, based in Spain, to deliver her international priorities for the Group. This role will work closely with fee earners across international, majority in the UK, leading and supporting a broad range of areas to help the firm and Group enhance its profile with clients, in the market generally, and win profitable business.
Occasional travel internationally is a requirement of the role.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Employment Global Co-Chair’s trusted MBD advisor. Help support and action the Group’s strategic priorities. Lead the Employment client experience:
- Identify client and target opportunities - craft winning pursuit strategies
- Create /embed an Employment client onboarding programme to embed new clients quickly
- Roll out client engagement protocols across Employment
- Lead and deliver on pitch promises
- Support laterals with embedding their ‘book of business’
- Account management of key clients & lead wider Employment account management programme
- Value Added Services – (training, alerts and thought leadership) how we bring wider value to our clients, such as: connecting clients to opportunities and engaging on headline agenda’s
- Set the strategy and influence campaigns through sectors – seeking out appropriate channels to market for the Group’s products and services
- Lead the Employment group’s client listening programme (from client interaction itself to how this converts to opportunities and use of the intelligence to bring wider value back to the Practice Group (PG) through behaviour & culture)
- Coach new partner promotions / potential partner talent
- Workin closely with the other business services functions to take the Group products and services to market in the best possible light
In order to deliver the areas of key responsibility identified above, the successful candidate will be expected to manage & execute the Employment marketing strategy:
- Drive the necessary comms, on behalf of the Employment Global Co-Chair, keeping the strategic priorities front of mind for the Group
- Work closely in conjunction with our Knowledge team in the identification of issues affecting clients and consider how to bring related thought leadership to our market place
- Develop products and services with robust route to market campaigns (via sectors and/or regions as appropriate)
- Develop, in line with the Employment Group Co-Chair and wider International Employemnt MBD team, Group specific key client and client targeting programmes in particular with a view to cross-selling opportunities within the Group and the wider firm
- Build the profile of the Group both internally and in the market
- Support Employment partners win new opportunities, most namely pitch opportunities
- Connect our knowledge expertise and insight to our client base through strong thought leadership
- Leverage the wider firm / PGs activity to drive opportunities in Employment
- Work with the International Employment MBD team on flagship conferences i.e. Global Group Conference and ‘Oxford Event’
Manage the MBD team:
- Provide leadership and direction to support the group marketing team, ensuring it is kept fully informed of developments, issues and requirements of the group
- Manage a small marketing team and the group's access to the central marketing functions - web, events, pitching, research, marketing systems, Interaction and PR
- Coach and mentor talent within the team, providing the necessary stretch to develop and prosper for the Group and the firm as a whole
The job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time.
EXPERIENCE & CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate must have:
- Senior manager level experience and be looking to expand their role in an international organisation
- A Degree or equivalent qualification
- A high level of written, oral communication and project management skills. In addition you will be expected to have strong probing, consultative listening skills coupled with the ability to negotiate, persuade and manage senior stakeholders
- The ability to display a consistently positive and proactive attitude and demonstrate a collaborative working style; operating both as an individual and as part of a wider team (often based in other international locations)
- A deep knowledge of MBD processes for professional services - a sound understanding of new business processes, digital marketing, CRM and the emerging technologies that will help us win and retain legal work
- An exemplary professional approach and demonstrably high levels of commitment and internal client care
- Demonstrable experience in demanding, partner-led international environments, where success has depended on an ability to:
- multi-task and work to deadlines
- manage conflicting priorities and expectations in a robust and fast-paced atmosphere
- perform at a consistently high standard
- remain calm and composed in what are often demanding situations
- see delegated tasks through to completion at a high standard
- A proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information
- High level of literacy in IT and marketing systems - Excel, Word and Outlook is essential; experience of InterAction / CRM and design software would be beneficial
- Sales techniques and coaching skills
- Ability to understand and identify with the firm, its objectives and values
This job description is not designed to be exhaustive and can be varied, as required, to develop, or fulfil, the role on the demands of the Employment Group.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.