BD Executive - General Securities Group (Debt Capital Markets)
We current have an exciting opportunity for a BD Executive to join our London office to help market the world’s leading debt capital markets practice. According to Thomson Reuters, we are consistently ranked as the leading global advisor on debt issuances and are banded tier one in most of our jurisdictions. However, our markets and clients are evolving and our partners need a proactive BD professional to help them maximise new, exciting and varied opportunities.
This role provides both strategic business development advice and practical marketing support for the London Dept Capital Markets (DCM). You will also work with the global practice groups and BD teams in other offices where DCM is offered. The role is primarily focused on supporting the London DCM team, though a significant part of their practice has an emerging markets focus. Your role will include working with partners on their client development plans; leading pitches and contributing product and market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches; coordinating practical marketing support for profile-raising activities such as speaking at industry conferences; appropriate events and hospitality; managing the process of experience collection for use in pitches and other collateral using our market-leading EPiC pitch support technology and other ad-hoc business development support. The BD Executive in this role must have an enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global debt capital markets and understand the key issues facing the products they support and their implications for A&O. Previous financial market experience is desirable but not essential.
Role and responsibilities
- Use an understanding of the financial markets and capital markets practice (and our clients within them) to identify new business development opportunities and then formulate tactical plans to seize these opportunities.
- Take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for relevant proposals. Coach partners on their presentations and ensure the teams follow best practice.
- Ensure that the business development activities undertaken by partners are likely to help us improve our financial performance.
- Help implement and refine the business development strategy for GSG and DCM in USCF practices based on the objectives set in relevant business plans, which in broad terms defines the future marketing activities for each financial year.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Analyse and assess the appropriateness of our client list and make recommendations for changes including clients that should be de-emphasised and those we should be either actively targeting or investing more time in.
- Develop strong relationships with partners across the firm who have an ICM element to their practice.
- Be involved with market and client research to support business planning activities.
- Liaise and work with other members of the BD team and other support teams (eg Know How/Finance/HR) to improve the co-ordination of activities across the firm, both in London and internationally.
- Expect to assist in firmwide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
- Play a client facing role supporting partners in the management of key client relationships and potentially in new business development opportunities.
- Look for opportunities to proactively raise the profile of the firm's ICM capability, whether through partnering with external agencies or by engaging with firm-wide initiatives.
- Work on client listening programmes as appropriate; carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
- Proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- Oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Work with the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
- Responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and any available BD Assistant resource to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Contribute to and in time lead on other ICM wide initiatives eg on thought leadership around Fintech and life post-Brexit etc.
- Proactively identify and introduce tactical ways of engaging with clients through online communication and virtual events.
- Relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or similar) in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management.
- A commercial attitude, proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global capital markets and wider finance market (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area). Previous capital markets, banking or other finance market experience would be desirable.
- Experience in selling concepts and presenting them to senior colleagues.
- A proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives and using this experience to assess people and financial resources required for specific projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, associates and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about 'authority’ but is best suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence.
- Politically astute – can take reasoned decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire colleagues to deliver business goals and change behavior where required ie doing things better than before.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, manage time effectively, handles multiple priorities and expectations.
- A talented and effective individual who ideally has experience of working in a partnership or similar management structure within professional services or client service sectors.
- A commercial and ambitious individual driven to work in a high performance business development team at a global law firm where commercial insight, developing strong personal relationships and achieving tangible results are valued and recognised.
- A persuasive and encouraging lead to help partners and peers maximise potential business.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.