Media Director (Owned Paid-For Media) Leading UK Broadcaster (9 month contract)
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the leading UK broadcaster who possess an enviable portfolio of channel brands. You will oversee the owned and paid-for media strategy and be accountable for identifying ways to grow business and viewership through media investment.
The Media Director leads the Media Planning team who look after on-air and on-demand promo inventory, continuity and navigation. Candidates must possess a deep knowledge of TV planning across linear and VOD. Additionally, you must possess extensive knowledge/experience of both owned and paid-for media.
- Strategic leadership of the Media Planning, Continuity & Navigation functions, overseeing the translation of the channel marketing and programming strategies into business building media strategies and plans for both on- and off-air.
- Support and guide the marketing teams; overseeing the media strategy, planning and evaluation across the channel portfolio.
- Oversee the on-air make-list process, encompassing the commissioning of all promos and continuity elements, in line with overall network and channel brand business objectives.
- Ensure that roles for media across paid, owned and earned are clearly defined at business, brand and campaign levels, ensuring all campaigns are fully integrated across mediums; with clear objectives, KPIs and audience targeting.
- Responsible for defining and implementing media best practice across the network at a contextual level; e.g. free v pay, new v returning series, known v unknown talent, US v UK content, archive v acquisitions v commissions, by programme genre, etc.
- Regularly reassess the shifting TV a media landscape, evolving and adapting media strategy accordingly
- Originate and lead strategic initiatives to ensure on-air promotional assets and promotional airtime are used creatively, innovatively and efficiently to optimise effectiveness across all platforms; including ensuring effective use of navigation tools and break architectures, to drive the commercial co-efficient.
- Champion a culture of accountability and analysis; measuring the ROI of all marketing and promotional media activity (on and off-air), in conjunction with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, and the Director of Research & Insight.
- Ownership for the relationship with the off-air media agency, negotiating contracts/ fees, evaluating performance, and working with key channel and network stakeholders to anticipate and resolve any service issues.
- Responsible for talent recruitment, development, and retention across the department; identifying relevant coaching and training needs and developing corresponding action plans in conjunction with HR and the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer; addressing performance issues where necessary.
Skills & Experience:
- Extensive hands on experience of media planning gained at both relevant organisations such as broadcasters and agencies.
- First-hand experience of developing bespoke, targeted media strategies, and 360-degree plans; together with a thorough working knowledge of the role and relative effectiveness of different marketing mediums.
- A thorough understanding of media agency business models, structures, processes, and ways of working; with a proven track record of working collaboratively with agency and media owner partners, to shape integrated media and creative plans.
- A proven strategic and operational leader, capable of developing and translating strategies into actionable operational plans.
- A consistent track record of delivering results through others; leading, coaching, and developing large teams.
- A consistent track record of inspiring trust and respect both internally and externally.
- Remains calm under pressure.
- Capable of communicating and influencing with high levels of diplomacy.