BD Manager - SAF & ECAs
We currently have an excellent opportunity for an experienced Business Development Manager to take a lead role in the delivery of excellent support to a commercial practice group (SAF) and global interest group (ECAs). Importantly, this role will also be expected to fully support and drive change within the BD team around continuous improvement to the value of our BD service platform, role clarity and focus.
This role will provide strategic business development advice, practical marketing support and financial and operational support for all Structured Asset Finance fee earners in London but also working with the global practice group and BD team, including working with the lead partners on their client development plans; leading pitches and contributing product and market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches; coordinating practical marketing support for profile raising activities, such as speaking at industry conferences, appropriate events and hospitality; managing the process of experience collection, credentials and CVs; and other ad-hoc business development support. In addition, the role supports the ECA practice and helps support wider Projects BD initiatives that cross-over with Structured Asset Finance. The BD manager in this role must have the ability to articulate the key issues facing the product and the implications for A&O. There is a strong sector focus to the role given the Structured Asset Finance group’s focus on both the Aviation and Shipping sectors, so there is potential for the successful candidate to build out a cross-practice sector driven approach to how we go to market in these areas
Role and responsibilities
- Use an understanding of the financial markets, banking practice (and our clients within them) to identify new business development opportunities and then formulate tactical plans to seize these opportunities.
- Develop a business development strategy for SAF and the ECA groups, based on the objectives set in relevant business plans, which in broad terms defines the future marketing activities for each financial year.
- Play a client facing role supporting partners in the management of key client relationships and potentially in new business development opportunities.
- Ensure that the business development activities undertaken by partners are likely to help us improve our financial performance.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients and sectors relevant to the in the market. Analyse and assess the appropriateness of our client list and make recommendations for changes including clients that should be deemphasised and those we should be either actively targeting or investing more time in.
- Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements. Coach partners on their presentations and ensure the teams follow best practice.
- Look for opportunities to proactively raise the profile of the firm's banking (with a focus on structured asset finance and ECAs) capability, whether through partnering with external agencies or by engaging with firm- wide initiatives.
- Client listening – work on client listening programmes as appropriate; carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
- Develop strong relationships with partners across the firm who have a banking, aviation or shipping element to their practice.
- Liaise and work with other members of the BD team and other support teams (eg Know How/Finance/HR) to improve the co-ordination of activities across the firm, both in London and internationally.
- Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
- Associate development – working with the SAF associates to develop personal BD plans and goals.
- Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- Internal communications – oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Campaign management – work with the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
- BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and any available BD Executive/Assistant resource to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Additional projects – Expect to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
- An interest in Structured Asset Finance and the Shipping and Aviation Sectors.
- An understanding of the global IFI/DFI/ECA market
- Graduate plus additional professional marketing/business qualification.
- Substantial relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management).
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral.
- A proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global Banking and Finance market (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area).
- Experience in selling concepts and presenting up.
- Proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives and using this experience to assess people and financial resources required for specific projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about 'power'. It is suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence.
- Professional in outlook, attitude and appearance.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behavior where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate workload of the team and manage others’ time efficiently, balances conflicting priorities and does not over-commit team and themselves – always manages expectations.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.