Bid & Pursuit Manager
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more, please click here
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice our clients need. How we share our knowledge across our business, and with our clients, is critical in delivering value to our clients.
We currently have 26 offices in 16 countries and a number of referral relationships that enable us to offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 420 partners and a further 1,450 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, we are able to respond to our clients wherever and whenever they need us.
Our clients value us for being approachable, astute and commercially minded. As a global team we have a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects, and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients in innovative ways.
Ashurst regards an inclusive and diverse environment as critical to its business success. Accordingly, the firm encourages applications from candidates representative of all talent pools. Find out more about our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy on the "About Us" section of our website.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.iness aea
Role: Bid & Pursuit Manager
Reporting to: Head of Bids
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, 9:30am - 5:30pm, may be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties
As Bid & Pursuit Manager, you will be responsible for the end-to-end bid process and management strategy. An integral part of the global bid team, you will lead the development of bid responses and pursuits in collaboration with the bid team, business development and other stakeholders by developing leading and persuasive bid content for each requirement and client. Supporting bids throughout the process to ensure bid excellence, you will contribute to the strategic growth of the firm through new and existing business wins.
The Bid & Pursuit Manager will report to and work closely with the Head of Bids and will be an integral member of the Global Bid Team and wider business development function.
- Manage the bid process to ensure best practice and responses are developed for individual client requirements
- Work with Fee-earners and BD team members to define the bid strategy with a clear value proposition and win themes for critical and strategic bids
- Managing members of the Global Bid team (where required) working collaboratively with the Bid Executives, Coordinators and the Content team as well as all members of the firm
- Lead the management, writing, reviewing, proof reading and amendment support to bid responses for improved internal compliance
- Monitor and promote bid best practice regarding writing style and tone while being compliant to individual client bid requirements or restrictions
- Support the Head of Bids to deliver all bid activity at the highest standards of quality and excellence
- Support client research, stakeholder briefings and reports on major and complex bids and pursuits
- Contribute to the design of graphical elements for written proposals, such as operating models, value propositions and complex themes
- Provide critical support for the firm's preferred Bid technology for the creation and delivery of bids
- Deliver the firm's content management strategy by developing and writing leading content for our content library
- Monitor usage of written content through our bid technology and provide guidance on improvements and spot data / content gaps
- Analyse bid response feedback against written responses to support the improvement of overall quality, win rates, activity and spot to trends
- Risk and control: ensure all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies
Essential skills and experience
- Excellent bid management capability. Experience of proposal writing and management in either a legal, professional services or other relevant environment, and experience of producing written content for proposals. Extremely strong bid process knowledge, writing and project management skills; able to transform technical information into clear, compelling, succinct content for proposals to various audience types (including public sector (government/councils), banks, financial institutions and corporates)
- Ability to identify client requirements and successfully articulate differentiators, benefits and win themes. A strong grasp of bid best practice as it relates to written proposals, especially the requirement to focus content on the customer/client (their needs and concerns) rather than Ashurst
- Excellent organisational abilities and time management. Experience of using and managing a bid library and/or pitch automation system, and co-ordinating inputs from multiple stakeholders (including technical subject matter experts as well as business development teams)
- Exceptional eye for detail, able to spot errors and inconsistencies, i.e. strong proofreading skills
- Highly competent user of the Microsoft Office suite, including advanced Word and PowerPoint skills
- Self-motivated; comfortable working autonomously to deliver the objectives of the role with limited day-to-day supervision
- Team player, with a strong service ethic and a desire to add value to the firm by improving the quality and usability of bid content
- Keen eye for detail and design, able to improve the visual impact and aesthetic properties of proposal materials
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent (preferably English or other arts/humanities degree)
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of bid library/pitch automation software systems
- Familiarity with SharePoint
- Experience of helping to embed and develop a new bid library system
- An understanding of legal practices, products and the legal competitive landscape, gained from previous experience within the legal sector
- Experience of having worked in the professional services sector, a partnership or other complex, global environment
- An understanding of different bid cultures and customers, with bid writing experience across geographies and to a variety of customers (e.g. government, financial services, banks, funds, corporates)
Our culture is shaped by our core values of Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity and Accountability. They guide how we relate with each other, our clients, our behaviour.