Head of Communications & Media
- Job Role
- Head of Communications
Head of Communications & Media - One Year Contract
£35,000 - £40,000 per annum
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Index on Censorship, one of the world’s leading freedom of expression organisations, is looking for a Head of Communications & Media to help support the organisation to grow its profile and the coverage of freedom of expression in the media. This is a key new post, reporting to the Deputy Chief Executive.
If you are brilliant at communicating information to a wide range of stakeholders and great at getting media coverage, then this could be the job for you.
Index on Censorship is a London-based charity that campaigns on issues of censorship and supports those facing threats to their freedom of expression. The organisation, which turns 50 in two years, is moving into an exciting phase of its development, with new projects launching in the United States and UK.
The Head of Communications & Media will be responsible for revising and delivering the organisation’s current communications strategy and have overall responsibility for the functions:
- Development and implementation of our communications strategy, including devising a new social media strategy
- Handling relationships with UK and international media
- Creating, editing and distributing external communications, including documents such as the weekly email newsletter, annual report, marketing materials and press releases as required
- Driving the process of reviewing and releasing press releases and statements written by colleagues and being a point of contact with the media
- Monitoring and reporting on Index on Censorship’s coverage in the media
- Website management (our website is based on a Wordpress platform) and management of the relationship with the web design company where necessary
- Editorial quality control of all non-magazine content
- Ensuring Index on Censorship is able to present freedom of expression and censorship issues in an accessible and current way for a variety of audiences
You will also oversee production of video content and podcasts, in conjunction with other team members and will work closely with our magazine, advocacy and events staff.
You will line manage the Assistant Online Editor and also be responsible for relationships with any design, website and PR agencies as and when required.
- At least three years’ experience in a senior role within communications and media
- Marketing experience, including ability to edit and produce professionally-designed content for a variety of audiences
- Experienced at producing and overseeing digital communications including web and social media
- Ability to measure the success of web and social media content
- Confident working with media outlets, PR companies and journalists
- Organised and efficient approach to work
- Interest in, and knowledge of, freedom of expression
- Knowledge of using Wordpress (Content Management System) and social media systems such as Tweetdeck
- Experience with communications around human rights or freedom of expression
- Experience in not for profit, advocacy or campaigning organisations
- Experience managing staff within a small communications team
- Experience of working with content in multiple languages
- Management of small budgets
- Some knowledge of media law, particularly relating to online content
The position is being created initially for one year but with the possibility of extension for the right candidate. Index is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Flexible and remote working may be considered.
Closing date for applications: midday 23rd August 2019.
Please note, this post has an immediate start date.
To apply for the role of Head of Communications & Media (One Year Contract), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.