Senior Communciations/Media Officer
Senior Communications/Press Officer-Central London £37,000-£43,000 per annum
To implement PR across the communications mix and support the Head of Communications and Events as part of the PR team to ensure the vision and strategy for the School and the University is incorporated into all communications, including external media coverage and messaging.
- Advise on and develop an appropriate external PR strategy appropriate to the School with the Dean, the Chief Operating Officer, and the PR and Communications Manager and the Senior Communications Officer Identify and work with key spokespeople/experts within the University to promote their research and expertise across a wide range of media and other stakeholders
- Meet Head of Communications and Events and PR and Communications Manager regularly to review strategy and performance.
- Review progress regularly to ensure the PR and Communications strategy underpins the University's vision and strategy.
- To support the School in the effective management of their external PR function
- Work effectively with the other Senior Communications Officer to ensure that all areas of the School requiring PR & Communications support are serviced and workload is distributed evenly.
- Keep in regular contact with staff across the School to keep abreast of latest developments in each area, including the promotion of research, academic expertise and staff, student and alumni success
- Work with the School to identify and develop opportunities to communicate the University's core messages and research to key influencers via a range of communication channels.
- Ensure internal stakeholders are made aware of any potential issues likely to impact upon the effective running of the PR function. Ensure all staff enquiries/requests are responded to within 24 hours of receipt.
- Operate an out-of-hours media telephone service rota with PR colleagues.
- Provide an effective PR consultancy service to colleagues
- Be aware of current issues impacting upon the education sector and the sector served by the School.
- Keep up to date with all relevant media sources in order to advise the school on best and most effective response to any given situation.
- Promote the Communications team as well as the whole Marketing & Communications department to the rest of the University as an accessible, practical and expert resource.
- To work with the events teams and the School to ensure all events are publicised
- Liaise with events officers and marketing executives and develop communication strategies for each event where appropriate, to include writing stories for the website, inviting journalists and other stakeholders to attend events, providing social media coverage and producing multimedia content
The successful candidate will be demonstrate all of the below:-
- A solid understanding of media - press, radio, television and digital - and how each works. An ability to assess which type of approach to take in any given situation, and how to work across different channels for the most effective outcome. Good IT skills, including using a CMS to upload stories to the web and an excellent working knowledge of social media including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- A strong, instinctive news sense is essential, coupled with excellent writing and content generation skills. The Senior Communications Officer must be able to produce articles, profiles, feature and news releases sometimes under very tight deadlines.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills: the job involves a high level of contact with senior level people across all levels of the University, external stakeholders and the media.
- The ability to understand and summarise complex information and relay this information in an easily accessible way, both verbally and in writing. Good research skills are vital. The ability to prioritise work and operate independently is crucial as is the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrable experience either working as a Press Officer, a journalist or in an agency on external PR in a pressurised environment, preferably in the fields of Finance, Business or Education.
- Demonstrable experience of generating high profile media coverage for research or similarly complex material Experience of working with senior academic staff and or equivalent high profile individuals. Experience of effective media crisis management.
- Proficient in the generation of multimedia content such as photography, video and/or audio
- Ideally you will have experience of working in the education sector
- This role will consider candidates on three months' notice
- Annual Leave is 30 days, plus 8 statutory and 4 additional days during the Christmas holiday period.
If you are interested in this role please do apply ASAP with an up to date CV highlighting all your relevant experience
Apply for Senior Communciations/Media Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly