Business Development Manager - Disputes
We have one of the largest dispute resolution and litigation practices in the world, with experience of handling and resolving multi-jurisdictional mandates and international arbitration across all industry sectors. We advise many of the world’s largest companies on complex, high-value disputes.
The Business Development Manager (“BDM”) will support the continued development of our Dispute Resolution and Litigation practice for the Europe, Middle East & Asia (EMEA) region across all industry sectors. They will support the practice’s key business objectives through planning and leading incisive marketing and business development initiatives across the EMEA business.
The BDM reports to the Head of Business Development in London and the Head of Dispute Resolution and Competition, EMEA. The BDM will work in close cooperation with marketing and business development teams across both EMEA and globally.
- Work with the Disputes leadership team to develop and implement annual team business plans, budget proposals and campaign plans for the EMEA region.
- Oversee EMEA Disputes BD activity to ensure regional practice objectives are met. This includes, but is not limited to, client development, campaign planning, pitching, marketing and communications and strategic event management.
- Plan for and manage the relevant business development budgets.
- Support relationship partners as the lead BD manager for specific key clients.
- Lead Disputes engagement in our global and priority client programmes and drive the realisation of opportunities.
- Facilitate participation in our client feedback programme; track and act on actions arising from interviews, and assess how feedback can be used to drive behavioural change.
- Maintain awareness of relevant global and local marketing products which can be used for client development and dialogue.
- Project manage transactional and strategic bids; provide input on approach, team formations; draft, create, review and edit content; manage document development where necessary; ensure adherence to branding requirements; ensure adherence to pricing procedures.
- Ensure follow up is sought from client post pitch; track and act on actions which arise; assess how feedback can be used to drive behavioural change.
- Monitor firm panel appointments and drive realisation of opportunities presented.
- Develop high quality materials for use in bids to convey EMEA positioning, experience and sales messages to clients and targets. Ensure, for consistent messaging and capability presentation, that this content is replicated in appropriate systems and all communications channels.
- Act as practice ambassador for bids best practice to ensure understanding and compliance of bid process.
- Analyse win / loss rates and make recommendations as to how to improve performance.
- Work with the communications team and PR to develop the firm’s profile for international Disputes work through profile raising campaigns and supporting marketing activities, collateral and press.
- Systematically measure performance in directories; agree target rankings; facilitate contribution to directories using consistent positioning messages; report on change in rankings and against targets set; refine approach as needed.
- Ensure key practice activity is brand compliant and adopts our visual identity to deliver consistent materials to market.
- Ensure all communications channels convey consistent messaging and capability presentation (including but not limited to web, collateral, bids, experience statements, directories, CVs).
- Adhere to and/or develop best practice to improve efficiency and transparency to fee earners.
- Effectively utilise and promote use of our Manila-based Global Services Centre for operational business development tasks.
- Encourage practice adherence to procedures and best practice with the firm’s CRM and experience management systems.
- Line management of one Business Development Executive.
Skills and Experience Required
- Graduate calibre with demonstrable and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification (such as CIM, etc)
- Experience of working in a legal and/or professional services environment
- Strong written, editorial and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills - this candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of managing multiple projects and transforming a commercial issue into business development opportunity
- Leadership ability - this candidate must be able to build a strong reputation within the business and deliver excellent service
- Confident, persuasive and assertive
- Excellent attention to detail
- Understands when to act and when to ask
- Experience of working with clients - ability to be client facing
- Demonstrable experience in managing and writing bids
- Understands the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Sound working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Shows technical ability
- Communicates effectively
- Organised and meets deadlines
- Focuses on performance enhancement
- Develops and maintains relationships
- Focuses on strategic priorities
- Constantly finds ways to add value
- Treats people with dignity and respect
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Philippa Wilson at Philippa.firstname.lastname@example.org (enquiries only - we do not accept applications by email)