Marketing Science Manager
About the job
Our vision here at Tesco is to serve Britain’s shoppers a little better every day. We want to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are online or in our stores.
We want customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. We aim to hire excellence – we have to deal with a volume of data few other companies have access to, but that comes with a great level of complexity. We are looking for curious individuals who want to make a mark and contribute to ground breaking work.
In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and career development opportunities.
The position will be based at our Digital Innovation Centre in Farringdon, London, with weekly trips to our Head Office in Welwyn Garden City.
About the Measurement & Optimisation Team in Marketing:
Our purpose is to leverage cutting edge data tools & methodologies to drive and foster a scientific mind set in the marketing team, empowering them in delivering better communications across all channels and devices, at the optimum cost to Tesco.
Tesco has great history in making powerful use of data, but the current environment is ripe with further opportunities that we need to take advantage of – most notably in the area of Marketing effectiveness, which is our area of focus.
We have internal customers, and we deal with them like we would with clients: we listen to them, understand their pain, what they are trying to achieve, and use our expertise to deliver the best possible experience for them – sometimes it means we give them what they need rather than what they want.
We want to establish a data democracy in Tesco, empowering people, shortening the path to Insight, and dealing with the complexity in the background so that our clients do not have to.
But there is no doubt that ours is a really complex world. Tesco touches many consumers many times, and has access to huge amounts of data. We need to be rigorous, and employ sound science to deliver unambiguous and robust insight in a dynamic, and at times chaotic, data environment.
It is complex, but that is precisely what excites us.
Our endgame is to change the way marketers make decisions within the company – we are fostering the use of the scientific method in testing hypothesis, running experiments, reviewing and reproducing results and sharing with our peers in the company to benefit from the large Tesco data community.
In a word, we want to usher a new age of rationality in Tesco Marketing, and deliver tangible value to the company.
We are now at the point where we have a real shot at it – join us if that makes you as excited as it does us!
The Role – Marketing Data Science Manager
The following personal qualities will be key in securing the role:
- A rational and curious individual, driven by a desire to uncover the truth, and an uncompromising belief in the scientific method
- Strong communication skills that allow you to explain your area to lay people
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, result-orientated environment
- You show resilience and tenacity – you are able to see projects through in a matrix environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Creative, analytical, objective, and rational – you will be able to make recommendations to our clients, and inspire confidence, becoming a trusted source of insight.
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
Specific responsibilities will be dynamic, and hopefully you will shape your impact and how you get involved, but the following points are a good overview of the role’s key responsibilities:
- Manage & develop the Marketing Science team
- Lead the development & management of the testing roadmap, ensuring we can maintain our momentum
- Conduct pre- and post-test analysis, making sure we test the areas most likely to yield tangible benefits for Tesco
- Develop & implement a robust & accurate model that attributes revenue fairly across marketing channels
- Look to develop and implement an incrementality simulator to better inform where we spend marketing money to get a better ROI
- Work with the Business Intelligence team to “inject” science in the reporting tools, making it easier to make sense of the complexity of our environment
- Work with the Data Management Team to integrate Data Science projects into our Data Processes and produce the right information for the Business Intelligence team.
- Network with the rest of the data & analytics community in Tesco to share experience, identify and contribute to best practice, become a part of the data revolution.
Key Skills and Experience
- You are degree educated in a numerical or scientific discipline
- Strong SQL skills, experience of Hadoop environment
- Experience with statistical software such as R or SAS a bonus
- Ability to take an analysis brief and deliver above and beyond, identifying additional opportunities along the way
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
Apply for Marketing Science Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly