Are you hungry for a challenge that, if we get it right, will put learning disability high up on the public agenda, stimulating debate and generating income for a cause that is crying out for a higher profile? If so, we want to hear from you.
This is a critically important role and we are looking for a Press Officer with bags of experience working in busy Press Offices who has the ability to hit the ground running to manage often complex and sensitive stories affecting the lives of people with a learning disability and their families.
This is an exciting and varied role, which will involve working closely with teams across the charity including employees with a learning disability. With experience of working with a range of media outlets, nose for a good story, understanding of central and local government and experience of building relationships with key media, you will have a proven track record in securing on-message media coverage across national, regional, broadcast and trade outlets.
A confident communicator, you will feel comfortable liaising with senior management, maximising opportunities in the news agenda, write attention-grabbing copy and comment to tight deadlines, successfully pitch stories and provide media advice to colleagues at every level.
The key responsibilities of a Mencap Press Officer are:
- Day-to-day media handling
- Providing media advice and support for Mencap staff, at all levels of the organisation
- Creative writing and identifying proactive media opportunities through story development
- Internal Stakeholder Management
For more information on who we are looking for see the attached Role Profile.
Find out more about how we support people with a learning disability to live the lives they want to lead at our website www.mencap.org.uk
Please apply using a full CV and cover letter, including why you are interested in working for Mencap.
We believe that all employees are amazing and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Here are just some of the ways we would value and invest in you.
- 24 days’ holiday (excluding bank holidays) increasing to 27 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme*
- Amazing Induction from day 1
- Access to on-going training and development
- Service related sick pay when 6-month probation is completed
- Eligibility to join Mencap Pension Plan where Mencap matches contributions up to 5% on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings*
- Membership of Mencap Pension Plan to include up to 3 times salary death in service live cover AND Income Protection of 50% salary to be triggered at 26 weeks of long term sickness*
- Tax free child care vouchers via salary sacrifice scheme for working parents
- Loans for bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap extras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
*T&C's apply based on contract
Apply for Press Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly