Head of Media Relations - Chelwood Gate, Sussex
Head of Media Relations - Chelwood Gate, Sussex
Haywards Heath, West Sussex
£49,707.57 per annum plus excellent benefits (starting salary subject to experience)
Full time - 35 hours per week
Our client is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. They now help around 190,000 cats and kittens through their network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 adoption centres and homing centres.
The charity is looking for a dynamic and professional Head of Media Relations to lead the team, ensuring the organisation’s reputation is protected and promoted via the media. You will have a degree in English or other Communications-related discipline, plus a PR or journalism qualification.
The main duties are varied, and our client will expect the Head of Media Relations to:
- Lead, manage and motivate the Media Relations staff and volunteer team, ensuring that our client’s image is protected and promoted consistently and professionally to the media
- Effectively manage the Media Relations staff and volunteer team in line with the organisation’s People policies
- Oversee the recruitment and management of centrally-recruited media volunteers
- Provide advice, support and guidance to staff and volunteers whose roles require them to have contact with the media so they are able to positively represent the charity
- Ensure all media relations activities are delivered to a high standard and in line with agreed objectives and budgets
- Evaluate all PR activity against predefined criteria and use findings to inform future activity
- Be responsible and accountable for the planning and management of the Media Relations budget
- Maximise the value for money achieved by the charity’s expenditure, ensuring that the team remains on budget and ensuring appropriate levels of financial control are in place and adhered to
- Ensure an appropriate crisis management plan is in place as part of the overall business continuity planning process
- Identify and analyse current market trends and apply best practices to areas of improvement
- Act as a media spokesperson where necessary
- Oversee all administrative requirements necessary for the efficient running of the team
- Demonstrate positive and proactive leadership within the context of the Communications Department, generating ideas, recommendations and constructive feedback to increase the effectiveness of the department and working effectively with fellow managers in Communications and other departments
- Ensure compliance with our client’s policies and procedures, statutory obligations and best practices, and undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required by the Chief Executive
This job description may be subject to review in the context of a continuously developing organisation and in consultation with the post holder. Occasional rota evening and weekend work may be required.
Our client is looking for the following experience, skills, knowledge and personal qualities:
- A degree in English or other Communications-related discipline
- A PR or journalism qualification
The post holder must have:
- Hands-on experience of working with media outlets
- Experience of managing budgets effectively
- Strong staff and volunteer management and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Well-developed interpersonal and networking skills
- Robust experience of managing and working with third party suppliers to achieve organisational objectives
In addition, it is essential that you have excellent management and communication skills, a proven ability to multi-task and work unsupervised and accurately and the ability to build strong relationships. You also need strong planning and organisational skills, a full UK driving licence and experience of UK media outlets, Media databases & monitoring systems and an understanding of volunteer working. Your ability to lead a team and work as a team member are essential qualities, with a positive attitude and a calm and even-keeled temperament to deal with difficult situations. Your role is likely to take you to events and meetings elsewhere in the UK, so you will need to have the ability to travel and have occasional overnight stays.
If you have charity experience and a love of cats, even better!
A full job description and person specification is available once you begin your application.
Closing Date: Thursday 30th November 2017
Interview Date: week commencing Monday 11th December 2017
Job reference: CF195
To reward you, our client has a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. They also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
Our client is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To apply for the role of Head of Media Relations, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Head of Media Relations, Head of Communications, Senior Media Relations Manager, Head of Public Relations, Senior PR Manager, Senior Communications Manager, PR, Media, Public Relations.