Design Manager (UX/UI)
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Group Customer Experience Lead, you will be responsible for leading user experience and design across a variety of Stagecoach brands and projects. You will use your wealth of experience in digital UX and design to provide guidance, recommendations and new ideas to develop engaging customer experiences which help our businesses achieve their goals.
You'll work with Product Owners, Business Analysts and Technology colleagues to understand customer and business requirements and bring them to life in the form of sketches, prototypes and detailed wireframes and designs. You’ll be a true customer advocate, not afraid to challenge the status quo, whilst recognising when compromise is appropriate. Influencing and persuading others is one of your strengths, you are able to effectively sell your ideas and generate excitement.
As some of our design work is done through third party agency resource, managing these relationships is also a core part of this role. You will be responsible for briefing, reviewing and sign off on design work. You will ensure that the requirements are well understood, Stagecoach design principles are followed, and that business, product and technology stakeholders are happy with the output.
This role comes with line management responsibility; there is currently one UX/UI designer who will work into the Design Manager. The successful applicant will also be expected to support the Group Customer Experience Lead with defining the vision for the in-house design function and supporting with recruitment to build a talented and ambitious design team.
- Become the authority on the design of digital customer experiences relating to all Stagecoach divisions (rail, bus, coach) and brands.
- Create sketches, prototypes, wireframes and designs to support projects ranging from optimisation of existing websites and apps, to design of brand new digital channels.
- Manage design agencies to support with work as required, and be responsible for review, feedback and sign off of design output
- Review and understand analytics and customer insight in order to identify user experience solutions which help solve customer problems and meet business goals
- Support with creation and adaptation of brand design guidelines to work across digital channels.
- Look to the future to understand trends and to define what our customers and our industry may look like in order to inform forward thinking customer experience strategies.
- Work to ensure people across the Group are aware of customer behaviours, attitudes and trends – and you will advocate that these are always at the heart of the experience.
To succeed in this role you'll need both a deep understanding of digital, and a passion for turning innovative digital design into a reality. You’ll have a strong record in delivering superior customer experiences across a variety of digital channels.
You will need the technical know-how and creative vision to make a real difference to our digital propositions. This will include hands-on experience of designing ecommerce web and app experiences.
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven experience as a user experience designer and/or user interface designer.
- Significant experience and knowledge of best practices in responsive design for the web.
- Experience of either working agency side, or managing agency resource from client-side.
- A portfolio demonstrating experience of outstanding user-centred design solutions.
- Experience providing creative direction and thought leadership resulting in consistently high quality design execution and product delivery.
- Experience working in collaborative team environment, working directly with developers to implement designs.
- Understanding of WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility principles and techniques.
- Experience of designing for mobile apps across Android and IOS platforms.
Skills & Behaviours
- Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Passion for innovative design, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations.
- Confidence and positive vision to challenge the status quo, and to bring people together to work towards a common goal.
- Ability to communicate complex design concepts clearly across different audiences.
- Ability to influence and persuade to effectively sell your ideas and generate excitement.
- Decisive, resilient and personable, you will bring genuine integrity and enthusiasm.
- Experience of managing people is desirable.
- Degree educated or equivalent.
- UK travel will be required.
In return for your skills and experience, we’re offering a competitive salary along with the opportunity to work in a role that will have significant influence in shaping the future of our organisation while working in an industry sector at the beginning of an exciting period of transformation.
About Stagecoach Group
With a £3.8bn turnover, 39,000 employees and 4 million customer journeys each day, we are a leading international transportation group with rail, bus and coach operations across the UK, mainland Europe and North America