Corporate Communications Executive
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
This role, which is 100% technician, focuses on specific internal client groups. The Corporate Communications Executive will provide a full communications service to help those clients meet their business objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be expected to maintain the team’s high standards of technical and service excellence. This role requires the ability to produce a high volume of excellent written copy often to tight deadlines, project management and excellent client handling skills. The role includes:
- Media relations – Prepare and distribute press releases, generate and edit articles, support Head of Corporate Communications or Corporate Communications Manager on campaigns, monitor media coverage and respond to journalist queries. Awards and directory submissions. Competitor monitoring.
- Core and contact literature - Originate, produce and provide ongoing management of high-quality communications material for clients, targets and other contacts. This includes online and off-line material.
- Digital – Provide high-quality content for the firm’s website and publish it to the site using the firm’s content management system. Responsible for ensuring relevant client sections are up to date. Advise and support internal clients on social media.
- Wallpaper – Take brief from internal clients, liaise with designers, present concepts and deliver finished content to meet that brief.
- Intranet – Finding and writing high-quality content for the firm’s intranet. Using the firm’s content management system. Supporting internal clients in maximising the opportunity to raise/maintain internal profile. Help maintain the corporate communications team’s pages.
- Notice boards – Work with the corporate communications administrator to ensure all firm-wide notice boards are updated each week.
Miscellaneous – Provide copywriting and other support on miscellaneous communications projects as directed by the Head of Corporate Communications or Corporate Communications Manager.
Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager or Group Support Manager of the firm.
Key skills and experience
- Educated to degree level
- Outstanding writing skills, with faultless grammar and spelling
- Self-motivated team player used to working under pressure from multiple clients and delivering excellent client service
- At least one year’s experience in a communications (or equivalent) role
- An understanding of the strategic value of communications
- Strong interest in current affairs and the daily news agenda
- Professional firm experience desirable but not essential
Note that candidates will be given copywriting tests.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.