Data Scientist / Modelling Insight Analyst
If you're a statistician with a numerical degree and commercial experience in applying machine learning techniques, and notably building a range of predictive models using R, and are looking for the opportunity to join a big business brand in Birmingham, this could be an exciting proposition for you.
In this role you will be building and maintaining statistical models which support marketing and commercial decision making for what is a massive B2B organisation who provide a range of IT and Telecoms based services to SME, Mid-Tier, Large Corporate and Public Sector client base.
This will be a client-facing position, where you will be engaging various internal stakeholders presenting back insights, and how the models help the business achieves its goals.
Typical challenges you will be dealing with include things like:
- Churn prediction and prevention, developing insight based strategies to help identify customers at risk, and putting together recommendations based on sound and commercially robust insight of actions for the business to take to prevent it
- Customer upsell - looking at customers most likely to purchase additional products and services
- Segmentations - which overlay on the above and prioritise actions, supporting the marketing team with insight around key messaging to deliver to target customer segments, and helping them achieve the best return on marketing investment
The techniques you will need to employ will go further than just clustering or regressions. Because of the scale and complexity of the customer base, also the diversity of products and services available too, you're likely to be employing a range of modelling and machine learning techniques in order to arrive at the best solution given the business problem.
The core tools at your disposal will be R and SQL, and the client has stated they really do need someone who is experienced in using R to build models.
You will have a couple of more senior members of the team working alongside you too. One is a whizz with SQL coding, the other a modeller with R who has largely built the suite of models currently in use. So there's support and further training and development opportunities available to you too.
About the Company
A massive business brand within the ICT market. They're an innovator and a continuously evolving beast, reflective of the dynamic market they're not just a part of, but are really helping shape the future of.
You will be joining in their CRM and data analytics division, and working in support of their marketing and commercial teams, feeding their thirst for insight, working with some of the best data and analytics tools available, and given a broad enough scope to influence business decisions which can positively affect the bottom line by millions of pounds, all based on your talents in identifying actionable insight in data.
Role: Data Scientist / Modelling Insight Analyst
Location: Birmingham - close to mainline station
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000
Benefits: 10% bonus, pension, flex-bens package, 25 days leave
- Numerical degree, with at least a 2:1 BSc - MSc is preferred - from a reputable University
- Knowledgeable in statistical modelling & machine learning techniques, applying a range of methodologies
- Coding experience using R to build models, and proficient with SQL for join/extract/de-duplicate purposes
- Exposure to a marketing environment, working with customer behavioural data is a distinct advantage and is preferred
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, with ability to engage with managers and senior leaders, explaining the value of the models you've built to a business, and notably, non-technical stakeholders
- Experienced in analysing large databases, making sense of it.
- Real keen eye for detail
- Have a strong ability to manage his or her own time effectively and be a self-starter
- Gregarious personality - you thrive in collaborative working environments rather than working in silo
- Must have the necessary visas to live and work in the UK - sponsorship cannot be provided.
For further information please contact:
Managing Consultant - Blue Pelican Marketing
01892 507 100
You can view all our vacancies on our web site www.bluepelican.com, or call 01892 507 100 and ask for the marketing division.