External Relations Advisor
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
What's the role?
The purpose of our External Relations (ER) team is to create business value. We do this by growing and developing our brand reputation and by making a positive impact on the communities and wider societies in which we work. We're now looking for an ER advisor to help lead the communication of external insights across Shell.
What will you do?
You'll collect and communicate external insights and content across the Shell group. You'll learn and become an advocate of OutsideIn – our new content management tool – and use it to share insight with the organisation. You'll also look after an interesting variety of insight projects. Things like opinion research (both in Shell and externally) as well as media analysis (traditional, digital, and social).
Here's a list of some of the things you'll do in this role:
- You'll look after the effective delivery of the OutsideIn tool so your ER colleagues can easily access the latest external insights available across Shell
- You'll take care of all of the related processes for OutsideIn. Things like the upkeep of existing pages, the addition of new markets, and the development of new themes
- You'll also retire or refresh pages that are no longer relevant. And you'll find useful third party sources that can supplement our own
- You'll get involved and help deliver ad-hoc projects to give the external perspective our ER colleagues need to support their strategic objectives
What we need from you
You'll be a great communicator. You'll enjoy processing large amounts of information quickly and have the skills to pull out the important and salient points. And you'll be able to empathise with the perspectives of lots of different audiences and present your information accordingly.
- Be an expert in at least one of these areas: opinion research (design, analysis specification, interpretation of data, reporting), social/digital analytics, or print media measurement. You'll also have the desire to grow and build the other skills
- Have a degree (or equivalent)
- You'll be able to demonstrate your high levels of numeracy and be comfortable in dealing with large volumes of quantitative data. This might be from your academic background in sciences/social sciences or from your professional experience. You'll enjoy reading data tables, manipulating data in excel, and devising and applying weighting factors
- Be able to get your ideas across effectively in digital, presentation or report formats
- Have brilliant project management skills
- Show your experience of working with common opinion research statistical methods such as Conjoint and Regression etc
What we offer you:
- Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity and respect aren't simply a strap line, but are a part of everything we do. What's more, we're a company that places the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and on our inclusive approach
- Our culture allows you the flexibility and support to work in a way that suits you. Your work life balance is important to your overall sense of job satisfaction. So our open and flexible work environment gives you the flexibility and support to work in a way that suits you best
- Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you can deliver and excel, feel pride in your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities
We care deeply about fostering a truly diverse workplace at Shell. We believe in doing everything we can to make Shell a flexible, an appealing, and as supportive place for women to work as we can. And we've retained our title as a top employer for women in the Times again in 2016.
We help with things like our formal (and informal) flexible working. Like our global and transparent pay policies backed by leadership team fully supportive of our diversity ambitions. And how we'll help foster your career through our Women's Career Development programme and our extensive Women's Network.
Read more about a women's perspective here.
People with an impairment
At Shell we're all about top talent. End of story. We want to encourage those of you who may face an impairment to regard Shell as a place where you'll be fully supported to grow and develop your career. It's as simple as that.
Just let us know about your circumstances if you'd like to apply. We can support you throughout the process. From application, to interview, to your first day of a long career with us.
Read more about how Shell support people with an impairment here.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online via the 'Apply' button.
Agency calls are not appreciated.