Category Manager / Consumer Goods / 55k salary / Plus Excellent Package / Salisbury
Purpose of the Role:
Lead the commercial plan for my client's exceptional products, working closely with high profile retailers and global distribution partners, building joint business plans which create harmonious sales growth and margin opportunity. Be responsible for sales performance which exceeds our business plan, in both domestic and export markets.
Evaluate, define and execute distribution growth strategies within assigned product families whilst developing joint channel and trade marketing initiatives which drive high visibility and sell-through for them in our channel.
Represent the category and become the centre of competence for the product in the markets in which they operate, ensuring the Commercial team is equipped with market and channel intelligence which drives solid decision making.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Develop the sales and distribution strategy for assigned categories which exceed the business plan goals
- Evaluate existing distribution performance, capabilities and sales development plans
- Lead sales process and sales operations planning which maximises sales through existing distribution for assigned categories.
- Conduct and report due diligence on new distribution opportunities which minimise channel conflict.
- Develop best in class commercial propositions for channel partners which maintain and exceed margin and turnover goals.
- Lead regular planning cycles and day to day account management of key account requirements.
- Plan and deliver jointly agreed annual and quarterly business targets which strengthen our key account relationships and deliver to our business plan.
- Achieve long terms gains in ranging and product visibility through effective partnering and trade marketing execution.
- Effectively manage supply and allocation of our products to ensure demand from our key accounts is met.
- Work with Finance to ensure a fluent understanding of volume and margin performance for your category and products.
- Seek consensus and approval from internal stakeholders for proposed plans
- Achieve sales, profit and inventory goals on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.
- Be instrumental in leading the planning and execution of commercial launch campaigns for designated new products.
- Understand competitor analysis for the overall category, applying the knowledge to a given product or project.
- Author and communicate the channel launch plan by route to market and by country.
- Jointly with the marketing team, create a cohesive, 'launch kit' that is in line with market needs and expectations
- Manage the critical path from prelaunch to global launch
- Review the effectiveness of launch activity to prove the benefit to the business.
- Take ownership of cross functional launch planning meetings, attend and represent sales and marketing at R&D led NPD meetings & Product strategy.
Skills and requirements
- Demonstrable strategic sales ability and experience in developing collaborative long-term plans with distributors and retailers.
- P&L proficiency and ability to optimize return on investment
- Proven ability to positively influence buyers and management level decision makers to achieve sales.
- Strong ability to formulate customer propositions and sell premium brands
- Well-developed conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in sales forecasting for complex product and sales channels.
- Competency with internal and syndicated systems, data and content organization to support the needs of sales management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects.
- Proven ability of negotiation skills, both at the account and product sales levels.
- Accountable - takes ownership of business, customers, and relationships.