New Business Lead
5 days left
- Job Role
King & Wood Mallesons is a top 10 global law firm, combining local depth with a global platform. KWM aspires to be one of a small group of law firms that will sit at the top of a consolidated international legal marketplace. As part of that aspiration, we are positioning ourselves in the market as a global elite firm for the 21st century.
The KWM team consists of more than 600 partners, almost 3000 lawyers and a total of 4500 staff in over 30 offices around the world, including every major global financial centre. The Acritas Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index ranks KWM as the world’s fastest growing legal brand by reputation.
KWM was formed in 2012 by the merger of King & Wood (China) and Mallesons Stephen Jaques (Australia). In 2013, KWM was joined by SJ Berwin (Europe). KWM is one of a very small group of high quality, global law firms with the ability to practise Chinese, Hong Kong, Australian, English and US law, as well as a significant range of European laws. We provide top quality legal advice, with genuine capability and real cultural understanding in each of the markets in which we operate. We are unrivalled in our ability to connect clients with opportunities in and out of the key Asian growth markets.
In Europe, KWM has 135 partners and over 900 staff spread across 11 offices. We are recognised as having market leading capability in key areas of practice, including funds, private equity, real estate, Chinese outbound investment, regulatory and competition. In Europe, our ambition is to use the KWM platform and brand together with our SJB heritage and goodwill to reinforce and build our position as one of Europe's leading international law firms. Since 2012, KWM has won 115 awards across Europe and the Middle East. Highlights include PEI Law Firm of the Year in Europe for Funds for the fifteenth year in a row; Commercial Team of the Year - British Legal Awards 2015 and Top 10 Game Changing Law Firm by the FT Innovative Lawyers European Report 2015.
Advising international and domestic clients on the full spectrum of commercial, financial and specialist legal services, our practice areas in Europe and the Middle East fall into three key divisions: Corporate Finance & Funds (comprising Corporate M&A, Private Equity, International Funds, Corporate Real Estate, Commerce & Technology, R&I, Finance, Energy & Infrastructure, Tax and Employment), Competition, Regulation and Dispute Resolution (consisting of Litigation, Financial Regulation and EU Competition & Regulation) and Real Estate (comprising core Real Estate, Property Litigation, Construction and Planning & Environment).
We pride ourselves on providing a distinctive KWM client experience. From our inception, KWM has been hailed as a trailblazer, and our different way of thinking continues to be recognised with a string of leading industry awards for innovation.
The role of New Business Lead is an integral part of the Business Development & Marketing leadership team and a key role in the BD & Marketing team in Europe and the Middle East (EUME).
KWM EUME has a clear focus on driving top line growth. Each of our offices and divisions have identified specific growth areas and have developed action plans for exploiting these opportunities. Revenue growth will come as a result of significant new client wins and a systematic approach to deepening our established relationships.
As the market continues to become more competitive, we need to ensure that we maximise our chances of success by continuing to place a hard focus on increasing our new business win rate. We need to take a structured approach to long term client relationship development activity and we need to leverage our relationships and appointments by implementing revenue protection and growth plans for each of these new clients, as well as our existing clients, at a local and regional level.
To improve our win rate and drive revenue, we have a programme of profitability and efficiency initiatives in place and this role will play a key part in delivering this programme. We need to drive efficiency and rigour in our approach to winning work, deliver best practice in our approach to pitching and further enhance the sales skills of our partners and associates. We need to continue to leverage our panel appointments, pursuing a targeted programme to drive revenue. We need to continue to improve the infrastructure to support our proposals and new business activity to ensure we are consistent, efficient and successful in our BD activities.
This role will play a critical and leading part in achieving the firm’s strategic business development goals. The New Business Lead will provide strategic guidance on bids and major pursuits, manage bid strategy meetings, coach and challenge partners, oversee the bids team and manage the bid pipeline/panel targeting programme.
A key objective is to build a high quality central bids function and this will be a major focus in the first 12 months, implementing best practice and strategically improving the bidding process, managing projects and working in partnership with the wider BD & Marketing team to create a seamless approach to the pitch life cycle.
Two BD executives and an assistant currently report into this role.
- Lead on strategic pursuits and manage the bid pipeline/panel targeting programme. Work with client targeting teams to position the firm for must win/must have opportunities.
- Play a hands on role, leading and managing large, high value and strategically important bids and support the business in winning high quality mandates. Advise on all aspects of the pitch process, from the initial Go/No Go decision to lessons learned, providing challenge, insight and guidance and sharing best practice to increase our win rate.
- Work closely with BD colleagues in each office and division to provide strategic guidance and ensure we deliver best practice in in our approach to competitive proposal opportunities and thereby drive revenue growth.
- Lead, further develop and increase the impact of the central new business/bids team. Promote a consistent and joined up approach to winning work/navigating competitive pitches across the KWM offices in EUME.
- Introduce a bid appraisal approach as part of our strategy to win. Work with Partners and the BD team to evaluate the commercial viability of pitch opportunities and recommend how to respond to formal opportunities. Ensure that we use our resources efficiently (doing fewer things better).
- Put in place a ‘Proposals Panel’ to drive efficiency and improve the rigour of our approach to winning work, particularly high value and strategic opportunities. The panel will share best practice, provide guidance and challenge and increase awareness of live opportunities.
- Work with the Finance, the Pricing team and Business Managers to improve our approach to pricing and ensure all pitches/panel submissions have innovative or appropriate pricing methodologies applied. Encourage the use of pricing tools.
- Further develop our pitch infrastructure introducing tools, templates, processes and systems to support our pitching activity. Through implementing stronger processes we will increase efficiency and make time for the work that matters.
- Further develop our library of high quality sales support materials across EUME. Review and update existing marketing/BD material to ensure we can respond quickly, consistently and efficiently to opportunities and ensure that our sales support materials are on brand and push relevant trust drivers.
- Implement a rigorous feedback process, both internally and externally, to ensure that we review and improve performance, increase our win rate, drive up quality, share learning and focus on best practice.
- Lead a programme of activity to make a step change in our approach to pitching. Strategically review KWM EUME’s approach to winning work, identify good practice and areas for improvement and implement new practices in line with industry best practice.
- Leverage our panel appointments to drive revenue and build strong relationships. Lead on the on-boarding of new clients and develop an action plan to drive revenue growth and build these relationships.
- Improve pitch tracking, capture and reporting. Analyse trends and implement effective information sharing structures to report on successes, share good practice and drive revenue growth.
- Develop and deliver sales skills training/coaching for all relevant stakeholder groups including partners, associates, BD & Marketing and PAs. This is a key deliverable to improve our approach to pitching across the business and embed a ‘business winning’ culture.
- Provide one-to-one coaching to encourage the behaviours and techniques that will improve the pitch win rate and cultivate a business winning culture.
- Coach client targeting teams to understand the breadth of what the firm has to offer. Develop appropriate training/tools to help teams "sell the firm".
Skills/ Knowledge required
CIM or relevant degree preferred.
A track record of success in the development of an effective bid process and the management of a bids team within a legal or professional services firm
The specific skills expected are:-
- IT literacy - particularly in Word, Powerpoint and Excel.
- Sound written and verbal communications skills.
- Be of graduate calibre.
- Experience in a professional services environment in a similar role, ideally a legal partnership or consulting/accounting firm essential, magic circle preferred.
This role requires a number of qualities:
- A team player focused on achieving results through collaboration.
- As ever; a “can-do” attitude.
- The ability to prioritise work under pressure which typically means excellent organisation skills with great attention to detail.
- A pro-active, responsive and resilient disposition.
- Be a natural communicator with ability to “think on their feet” and offer solutions when dealing with difficult people who want to ensure ‘every angle is covered’.
- The ability to successfully build and manage relationships and expectations within a diverse client group – this individual will have significant interaction with key partners in the firm.
- The ability and knowledge to provide independent advice to the business within the responsibilities listed above, with an understanding of commercial and financial drivers of a people business
- A strong people manager with a proven track record of coaching and mentoring others to exceed.
- Demonstrate experience gained in a complex environment – ideally in professional services.
- A robust and commercial stance.
- A professional, flexible and dependable attitude.
- Able to bring ‘new things to the party’.
- Full use of in-house catering facilities which includes a complimentary meal each day
- Contributory pension scheme (matched contribution up to 5%)
- Health Club/Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Discretionary Long Service Bonus (£250 for every five completed years service)
- Discretionary Maternity Payment
- Discretionary Paternity Payment
- Life Assurance Scheme (4x annual salary)
- Permanent Health Insurance
- 25 days holiday (pro rata) per annum increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to a maximum of 30 days
Our people are our greatest asset. We are committed to the recruitment and employment of individuals on the basis of their qualifications, skills and experience for the work they are to perform. We recruit, employ and promote regardless of an individual's sex, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, religion or belief, colour, race, ethnic origin, nationality, age, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment or disability.