Business Director - Agency - £45-50k - London
This client is the UK's leading business development consultancy, serving both the Agency and Marketing communities. They sit at the intersection of brands and agencies and bring them together in a controlled, intelligent and appropriate way. The approach is consultative and highly personalised. They are looking for people that have a holistic approach to new business and can create best in class campaigns for our clients across New Business, Marketing and PR.
The team are all very different. However, they do share some common attributes; sociable, opinionated, articulate, intelligent, good sense of humour, relentless and enthusiastic. The ideal candidate will have the confidence and personality to work closely with their clients – usually, the senior management of London’s top creative agencies.
You must be: degree educated, highly literate as well as articulate, and able to show previous success in generating sales leads for marketing services Agencies, or other commercial / professional services.
We would expect you to have a strong understanding of the market and a strong view on where the market is going.
You are primarily responsible for carrying out the new business plan, agreeing objectives with clients and making sure they are met. You will also protect and grow relationships with current clients.
You will be directly accountable for clients assigned to your group, delivering results for, and retention of, those assigned clients.
The Business Director function is one of personal leadership in client relations, internal administration of accounts and providing consistent direction and motivation to the ADs, SAMs and AMs. Internally the BD is involved with appraisals and ensuring all training needs of team members are met as well as actively prospecting on key client accounts. As part of the role you will sit on the Management Board. The board is responsible for the running of the business and as part of this you would be expected to come up with new ideas and drive positive change through the business.
The role reports into Client Services Director and CEO.
- Be the custodian of first class account handling; filing, organisation, scheduling, meeting agendas and contact reports, and fastidious use of CRM and reporting
- Develop strategy and planning on 10-12 client accounts, own it and deliver it
- Develop a close understanding of client’s needs and objectives that you can clearly relay to the account teams
- Build and maintain excellent client relationships to keep up to date with client business. You will be expected to speak to all of your clients at least once a week.
- Ensure you are updated on your clients’ work every 3 months (min)
- Be immersed in each client’s industry and sector and share this knowledge with employees and clients where relevant
- Maintain consistency in meeting monthly with your clients. Monitor when client reviews are approaching and stay on top of client contract dates and terms. You would be expected to always have a date in the diary for the next meeting
- Lead client review sessions for all your accounts and brief the team in advance for content and review materials required. Host internal sessions prior to all review meetings
- Accountable for reporting going to clients on accounts you are overseeing. Ensure you know many meetings have they had in the last month (attended), 3 months and monitor new business wins
- Jointly host new client inductions and pitches to help secure new business
- Understand the business offering and opportunities for revenue generation or development across all of its services
- Team leadership to ensure your account handlers are performing. Are they selling their clients’ services in the right way? Are they targeting the right people? Are you checking their call and email stats? Are you logging into their email accounts?
- Continual development and running of their training modules
- Management and development of junior account team members including appraisals and ongoing training support
- Take a lead role in the induction process for new starters
- Lead with a positive attitude to motivate the wider business
- Attend industry events and networking sessions
- Find and brief relevant and inspiring external speakers for training sessions