Business Development Manager - Energy
Norton Rose Fulbright has one of the leading energy practices in the world and is one of our six key areas of strength. The global energy business development team is at the heart of our practice, drawing all parts of the business together and driving effective management of the sector worldwide.
The global energy team has an impressive track record, the Norton Rose Fulbright energy practice has been named as the leading global energy brand in the Acritas Sharplegal Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index since 2014.
The Business Development Manager, Energy will support the continued development of our Energy practice across Renewables and sustainability, Power & Transmission, LNG, Oilfield Services, Upstream exploration and Mid/Downstream across EMEA.
They will plan and lead incisive communications, marketing and business development tactics across our EMEA business, ensuring key objectives in the EMEA energy business plan are met. The tactics will be in line with our global strategy and tailored to local markets.
The Business Development Manager, Energy reports to the Global Head of Business Development - Energy and the Head of Energy for EMEA. They will work in cooperation with business development teams across the region and with colleagues in Australia, Canada, South Africa, South America and the US.
Business Planning and Marketing Campaigns
Developing and implementing marketing campaigns which use the full marketing mix to raise and maintain awareness of our energy sector expertise across EMEA. Energy campaigns are global, focused on client needs and enable us to strengthen existing relationships and develop new client opportunities.
- Work with the Energy leadership team to develop and implement annual business plans, budget proposals and campaign plans for the EMEA region.
- Oversee EMEA energy business development activity to ensure regional objectives are met. This includes, but is not limited to, client development, profile raising, marketing and communications (including online and content marketing), pitching and event management
- Ensure that the global business plan is implemented in the region and fee earners are fully engaged in all related activity
- Work with the IBG chairs of at least one IBG to create and execute the global IBG business plan. This will include meeting coordination, production of IBG marketing material, development of relevant marketing campaigns and ensuring global engagement in the IBG activities
- Work with the Global Head of Business Development, Energy, to gain relevant partner and associate participation in initiative
- Support relationship partners as the lead BD manager on specific key clients (approx. three- four clients)
- Focus tactics on the energy clients in our global client programme and drive the realisation of opportunities
- Facilitate participation in our client feedback programme; tracking and acting on actions arising from interviews, and assessing how feedback can be used to drive behavioural change
- Maintain awareness of relevant global and local marketing products (e.g. from practice group programmes) which can be used for client development and dialogue
Supporting transactional and strategic bids is a part of this role. Key activities will include:
- Project management of transactional strategic bids; provide input on approach, team formations; draft, create, review and edit content; manage document development where necessary; ensure adherence to branding requirements; ensure adherence to pricing procedures
- Ensure follow up is sought from client post pitch; track and act on actions which arise; assess how feedback can be used to drive behavioural change
- Monitor panel appointments and drive realisation of opportunities presented
- Develop high quality materials for use in bids as boiler plate text, to convey EMEA positioning, experience and sales messages to clients and targets. Ensure, for consistent messaging and capability presentation, that this content is replicated in appropriate systems and all communications channels
- Act as an ambassador for bid best practice to ensure understanding and compliance of bid process, bring focus on the content of bids through second-nature understanding and acceptance of bid process
- Analyse win/lose rates via bid dashboard tool and make recommendations as to how to improve performance
- Working with PR Manager for energy to identify news stories, campaigns and upcoming events appropriate for media comment by the energy team, to demonstrate team expertise and support the EMEA energy business plan.
- Systematically measure performance in directories; agree target rankings with the Global Head of Business Development, Energy; facilitate contributions to across EMEA legal directories using consistent messaging; report on change in rankings and against targets set; refine approach as needed
- Ensure key industry sector activity is brand compliant and adopts our visual identity to deliver consistent materials to market
- Ensure all communication channels convey consistent messaging and present our capability (including but not limited to web, collateral, bids, experience statements, directories, league tables, CVs)
- Adhere to and/or develop best practice to improve efficiency and transparency to fee earners
- Encourage headlight adherence to procedures and best practice with firm systems including InterAction and Experience Management
- Demonstrate and encourage effective use of the Global Services Centre (GSC) for operational tasks
- Day-to-day management of one assigned team member (at Executive level)
Skills and Experience Required
- Relevant degree and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification
- Experience of working in a professional services environment (preferably within a legal, accountancy or financial services environment)
- Managerial skills (preferably including experience of managing international or virtual teams) and willingness to take on additional responsibility when required
- Strong writing, editorial and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills - this candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of managing projects and transforming a commercial issue into business development opportunity
- Understand the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Leadership ability - this candidate must be able to build a strong reputation within the business and deliver excellent service
- Confident, persuasive and assertive
- Self-starter with ability to use initiative
- Excellent attention to detail
- Politically astute - understands when to act and when to ask
- Experience of working with clients - ability to be client facing
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
- A genuine interest or experience in the energy sector
- Develops and maintains relationships
- Focuses on strategic priorities
- Manages multiple projects effectively
- Constantly finds ways to add value
- Delivers excellent service
- Builds strong reputation
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Diversity and Inclusion
At Norton Rose Fulbright we value difference and promote a culture of respect for each individual. We encourage workforce diversity in all aspects and at all levels and in doing so create an environment where everyone can realise their full potential and career ambitions on the basis of merit and skill.
If you are unable to apply for a position online or require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, please contact our Recruitment team email@example.com
The Norton Rose Fulbright office in London has been awarded the Disability Two Ticks Symbol by Jobcentre Plus. The symbol identifies those employers who have agreed to meet five commitments regarding the recruitment, employment, retention and career development of disabled people.
We want to support your application as best we can. For that reason, we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS). This means that applicants with a disability need only meet the minimum qualifying criteria for a role to qualify for an interview under the scheme.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at Norton Rose Fulbright please click on the following link http://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/corporate-responsibility/diversity-and-inclusion/
Norton Rose Fulbright
Norton Rose Fulbright is a global law firm. We provide the world’s pre-eminent corporations and financial institutions with a full business law service. We have more than 3800 lawyers based in over 50 cities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across all the key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, Norton Rose Fulbright Australia, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP, Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc and Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP, each of which is a separate legal entity, are members (‘the Norton Rose Fulbright members’) of Norton Rose Fulbright Verein, a Swiss Verein. Norton Rose Fulbright Verein helps coordinate the activities of the Norton Rose Fulbright members but does not itself provide legal services to clients.
Law around the world