Social Media Content Producer
6 days left
- Job Role
- Social Media Executive
In 2016 YouGov asked the UK public if they felt “politicians and the media talk about economics in a way that is accessible and easy to understand”. Only 12% answered yes.
To us, the problem is language. Really, economics is everywhere – but no one thinks of it that way. So we’ve created www.ecnmy.org, a source of news and entertainment using economic ideas to create relevant, topical, and shareable content on everything from sport to food to celebrity news.
This is part of our wider campaign to reclaim what economics is really about – seven billion stories, the lives we lead, and the choices we make. We think the change needs to come from the media, politicians, and economists themselves. We’re looking at things like language, diversity, transparency and values to create positive, helpful steps for institutions to move away from a world full of jargon, and into one where they’re able to effectively speak with and involve people in the work they do.
Where do you come in?
We’re looking for a Social Media Content Producer to lead Economy’s social media channel strategy and content production.
Our target audience is what we call ‘Pop’ – a 16-35 year old, digital media savvy demographic with a passion for pop culture, an interest in the world around them, and a distaste for dry, lengthy, archaic forms of communication.
Your role is to come up with creative ways of marketing our content to this demographic, and produce bespoke content for our social media platforms that conveys our mission and message in a way that’s relatable for this audience. This will involve:
- Developing our social media strategy across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and any other appropriate channels, in line with audience research
- Creating social media posts for news and entertainment content published on www.ecnmy.org
- Producing social-only content for our social channels – currently Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube – e.g. short videos, infographics and memes in line with editorial strategy
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about social media and up for the challenge of taking something the vast majority of people feel totally disengaged from and demonstrating that it’s not just for experts, but for everyone.
The ideal candidate should have:
- an understanding of and interest in economics / a strong desire to learn about the subject and how to make it accessible
- proven multimedia production skills
- proven social media experience
- familiarity with the logistics of publishing digital content, including video, images, and audio
- a strong understanding of our target audience and the ability to strategize how to reach them effectively
- communication skills, both in terms of working in a small team in-house, and representing the project externally
- masses of ambition, enthusiasm and drive to shape the social media strategy for a young and ambitious project
What’s the structure of the team so far?
You’ll work most closely together with the commissioning editor and senior editor. That being said, it’s essential that you have the ability to direct your own work while always making sure to communicate and collaborate with the team.
Our full team includes a campaigns manager, a video content producer, a publicity and comms consultant, two digital marketing interns, and an administrator.
What’s the structure of the organisation?
Economy is part of Rethinking Economics (RE), a student movement looking to change the way economics is taught at universities. Our work is overseen by the RE Public Education Committee, and a Board of Trustees.
Economy takes an inclusive, accessible, and engaging approach to the conversation around the economy: we do our very best to create an environment within the organisation which reflects these values. We actively encourage collaborative working, and aim to provide as many opportunities as possible for our team members to support, learn from, and engage with each other’s work to create a culture of horizontal learning and personal development.
How to apply
If you’re interested in the role, please get in touch with a CV and a short cover letter by the 5th October 2016.
Economy welcomes applications from all members of the community. We strive to be an equal opportunities employer. We will aim to accommodate special requirements wherever possible.
Apply for Social Media Content Producer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly