Business Development Executive - Real Estate
King & Wood Mallesons is a new breed of law firm combining local depth with a global platform. Offering a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience, over 2,700 lawyers across more than 30 international offices are working with clients every day to understand local challenges and navigate through regional complexity.
We work together with clients to shape a new world for their business, creating real value by combining entrepreneurial spirit with intellectual rigour and deep local knowledge, to provide quality legal solutions that are innovative and often ground breaking.
As the first firm in the world able to practise English, European, PRC, Hong Kong and Australian law, we are unrivalled in our ability to connect clients with opportunities in and out of the key Asian growth markets. We provide top quality legal advice, with genuine capability and real cultural understanding in each of the markets we operate.
Advising international and domestic clients on the full spectrum of commercial, financial and specialist legal services, our practice areas fall into 3 key divisions: Real Estate (comprising core real estate, property litigation, construction and planning & environment), Dispute Resolution & Regulation (consisting of litigation, financial regulation, IP and EU competition & regulation), and Corporate Finance & Funds (comprising corporate M&A, private equity, international funds, corporate real estate, C&T, R&I, finance, E&I, tax and employment).
Reporting into the Business Development Manager for Real Estate. The role holder will be given responsibility for both supporting the growth of the Real Estate practice area, as well as driving the firm’s Real Estate sector approach.
The Executive with the Manager's guidance will have responsibility for specific sub-groups within the practice and will be expected to support and help execute all activities associated with the establishment of this, including a bespoke client relationship management approach.
It also requires developing and implementing targeting programmes for the Real Estate practice and sector teams, helping prepare and implement meaningful client plans and providing sector based input to communications and pitching activities.
The priorities for the role holder will be:-
- EUME Real Estate Practice initiatives – executing the business development strategy. The role has a real focus on helping support the business with revenue and relationship development activities such as supporting on cross practice and office targeting activities, pitching, maintaining and driving client relationship plans.
- Providing day-to-day support on pitches, events, client relationship activities, communications, collateral, events calendar, directory submissions and other internal Real Estate BD support.
- To provide effective support to the Global Real Estate Practice Coordinator in the design and execution of the global business plans for this practice area
- Supporting on the preparation of pitches, capability statements and presentations, seeking and logging feedback.
- Working closely with fee-earners and PAs to coach them how to provide BD admin support for their fee earners such as organising pitch kick-off meetings, relationship team meetings etc.
- The role requires a good understanding and experience of the pitch process; from the actions to be taken on receiving an invitation to tender/pre-qualification questionnaire through to the scoping meetings, rehearsals and follow up.
- Record all pitch information on the Firm’s CRM system, Interaction, and produce monthly practice reports as required by the BD Manager.
- Working with the BD manager in the preparation and implementation of key divisional client action plans and subsequent activities arising from the plans. The role requires a tenacious approach and the ability to work alongside partners in order to complete the agreed actions and drive momentum.
- Maintaining practice and sector collateral such as brochures, fact sheets, pre-written content etc.
- Providing support to the BD manager to inform targeting plans.
- Responsible for co-ordinating the Library Information Services team to provide quality substantive research on clients, targets, industries/sectors to help drive forward targeting initiatives – occasionally on short notice. Liaising with BD colleagues across the firm to facilitate collaboration.
- Identifying new opportunities both with targets and existing clients through review of press and electronic media.
- Working with other BD Managers and Executives on firm wide key initiatives to win new business for various sectors when required.
- Managing events alongside the Real Estate events manager and PAs, such as the annual client summer party, networking events, seminars, and attendance at external conferences.
- Responsibility for the management and quality control of mailing lists and invitations, and attending events as necessary. These events can be on a UK, EUME and global basis.
- Responsibility for own events and reporting regularly on progress - this includes managing the events calendar.
- Responsibility for co-ordinating London and EUME directory submissions to Chambers and Legal 500.
- Working with internal teams to maintain the relevant sections of our website and intranet pages, preparing awards submissions, pre-written content for sponsorship opportunities etc.
- Liaising with partners and fee earners to ensure new credentials are captured. Continually gather, maintain and update this information. Develop and maintain a suite of collateral for the practice such as brochures.
- Responsibility for overseeing the gathering, recording and analysis of contact information on InterAction and management of the divisional mailing lists to ensure relevant, targeting communications.
Real Estate BD Comms:
- Preparing real estate internal communications such as the global and EUME newsletters.
Skills/ Knowledge required
- Complete IT literacy in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and ideally InterAction (CRM system)
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Have an appreciation of the benefits a sector or key client approach can bring to the firm
- Experience of working within a business development department ideally within a Legal or Real Estate firm
- Be of graduate calibre
- Full use of in-house catering facilities which includes a complimentary meal each day.
- Contributory pension scheme (matched contribution up to 5%).
- Health Club/Annual Season Ticket Loan.
- Discretionary Long Service Bonus (£250 for every five completed years service).
- Discretionary Maternity Payment.
- Discretionary Paternity Payment.
- Life Assurance Scheme (4x annual salary).
- Permanent Health Insurance.
- Private Medical Scheme (CIGNA).
- 23 days holiday per annum increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to a maximum of 30 days
Our people are our greatest asset. We are committed to the recruitment and employment of individuals on the basis of their qualifications, skills and experience for the work they are to perform. We recruit, employ and promote regardless of an individual's sex, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, religion or belief, colour, race, ethnic origin, nationality, age, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment or disability.